Jan 12, 2012

My Top 10

I've always enjoyed listening to music.  I'd listen to the radio and and buy the albums that were in the Top 40s.  It wasn't until after high school and into my early 20s that my music enjoyment evolved to an appreciation for music.  It was then that I started paying more attention to lyrics and emotions.

Over the past several days I've been thinking about my favorite albums.  First I tried to come up with my top five favorite albums.  That was tough.  I decided to expand it to my top 10.  These albums may not contain my favorite songs, but they are great albums because I can listen to them all the way through without skipping a track - I like every song.  Every song is lyrically and instrumentally great.  I could probably listen to the album over and over without having to skip any song.  Here they are (in no particular order):

The Decemberists - The Crane Wife

All albums by The Decemberists are good, but as this one goes through the album telling a story, it just flows well.
Eddie Vedder - Into the Wild

Eddie was sought out to write the music for this movie.  All the songs help tell the story of Christopher McCandless' life.
Weezer - Pinkerton

After the blue album, Weezer released a different sound, Pinkerton.  At first I didn't think that I liked it at much.  It wasn't until years later that I realized that I liked Pinkterton more than their self-titled blue album.

I've not liked much Weezer has put out since this album.
Neil Young - Harvest

It wasn't until I married that I really listened to Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash or anything of that era.  However, I'll admit that I'd been missing out on a lot of great music: Neil Young being one of those.
Andrew Bird - The Mysterious Production of Eggs

If your like me and have never seen Andrew Bird perform live, you need to watch this video: Click here He is a very talented musician.
The Beatles - Revolver

This is another one that I didn't appreciate much until later in life.  As a matter of fact, in high school, someone gave me a Beatles album for Christmas and I think that I traded it away.

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Greatest Hits

This is one of two albums that you may say I cheated with - Greatest Hits...    So many great songs by Tom Petty compiled into one album.
Everything But The Girl - Acoustic

This is the second album that is more of a compilation of songs from great albums.  But they're acoustic...
Green Day - Dookie

Okay, this one may be a little nostalgic for me.  Dookie was the first cd that I ever purchased.  It was the only cd that I owned for a long time.  Nonetheless, it's a great album that I'll listen and enjoy today.
The Killers - Sam's Town

This album did not get as much recognition as Hot Fuss, but I like it more.  It is a little darker than their first release, but has some great songs.

The above are my favorite albums of all time "today".  I am sure that most of them will remain in my top 10 for a  long time.  However, you never know what I'm going to listen to tomorrow that may become a favorite.

Tell me what your favorite albums are.

1 comment:

lizdye said...

Top 10 albums.
Not in any particular order
1. Phish..Hoist
2. Les Mis Soundtrack
3. The Miseducation of Lauren Hill
4. Neil Young..Unplugged
5. Ani Difranco..Out of Range
6. Pearl Jam..Live on 2 Legs
7. Rusted Root..When I Woke
8. Indigo Girls..Swamp Ophelia
9. Dixie Chicks..Home
10.Wycleff..Carnival

Since Itunes was invented I cant say I have any current favorite albums that I can listen to all the way through. Just mixed play lists. These are all from at least 10 years ago.