Mar 31, 2011

Hollywood



Although I had thought of this idea, this post is inspired by another blog that I read.

What are your favorite "outdoor adventure" movies?

Hollywood has made an attempt at making outdoor adventure movies like 127 Hours and even Sanctum.  Many of these movies are taken from real life experiences and other are just made up.  Even those that are taken from true stories are fabricated enough to entertain the audience.  Although some viewers might like the details of the Euro-Death knot or another knot used to climb, the general movie audience just wants to see the intense activity that comes after the knot is tied.

Many movies have been made about climbing and canyoneering: some good some horrible.  Below are my three favorites.

3) The Descent (2005): I'm sure that this movie is 100% fiction, but who wouldn't want to watch a movie about good looking women spelunking?  It's one worth watching.

2) Touching the Void: I've not yet had the chance to do any ice climbing, but hope to at least try it some day.  I will admit though, the idea of it scares me.  This movie is a true story of two guys that set out to climb Siula Grande in Peru and the challenges they face in their journey.

1) 127 Hours: for a long time I thought Aaron Ralston was an idiot.  I mean who leaves for a Utah desert trip and doesn't tell anyone where they are going?  I had read parts of Between a Rock & a Hard Place, by Aaron Ralston, and still thought he had made poor choices.  After watching the movie and giving it some more thought, I gained much respect for the guy.  Sure, he may have been dumb not to let anyone know where he was going, but it was his zeal for life and courage to push through that situation is what gained my respect.  Additionally, I was pretty impressed with the directors efforts in this movie.

There are some other good movies that weren't included here: Vertical Limit and The Cliffhanger.  I'm sure that there are even great movies that I've not seen.  Sanctum is one that I'd like to see, even with the bad reviews it's received on Rotten Tomatoes.

What are other movies that you would recommend?  

8 comments:

Bruce said...

Into the Wild has always been one of my favorite books. The movie was true to the story line, but no one can tell a story like Mr. Krak.

Matt Bell said...

Where the Red Fern Grows. For Sure.

lizdye said...

I am not a fan of real life stressful movies...but IM REALLY GLAD YOU STARTED A BLOG! Ill be following ;)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Josh A said...

I just read the Aron's book, Between A Rock and a Hard Place. Very interesting book. He talks about his other adventures while he's telling the "127 hour" story. Pretty wild stuff.

Downriverdash said...

Vertical Limit is awful and totally unrealistic. And Cliffhanger is only rad because Sly stallone wears a full rack while he is free soloing huge walls. Plus he has a fictional Bolt gun that he uses to blast away bad guys!
That is Rad!

Anonymous said...

Dave its a good start and Im interested in what you will continue to write. Here are a few videos you must see Pure force, and Third stone from the sun.

Dave Sherman said...

Anonymous, Pure Force sounds like it may be one that I have to for sure check out. However, I'm not sure about this Third Stone from the Sun. I cannot find much info on it. Either way, I'll look for Pure Force. Let me know if you know where to find it.